July 2018 — Per Erik Bergh (Managing Director) conducted a one-day training course in Mombasa, Kenya on fisheries in the Western Indian Ocean region for maritime analysts of national agencies (both civilian and military) involved in the action of State at sea. The session focussed on the Western Indian Ocean with the following areas covered:
• Geographical and socio-economic context of the fisheries
• Key fisheries
• Fisheries governance and geopolitical situation
• Illegal fishing and crimes in the fisheries sector
• Fisheries value chain and global links
• Risk assessment in the fisheries sector and how this can be used.
The course formed part of the CRIMARIO ‘Analysis of maritime oriented data’. The overall objective of the EU CRIMARIO project, financed under the “Critical Maritime Routes” programme, is to enhance maritime security and safety in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden regions through information sharing and capacity building, promoting regional cooperation.